Tadalafil (Cialis) is used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence; inability to get or keep an erection), and the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH; an enlarged prostate) which include difficulty urinating (hesitation, dribbling, weak stream, and incomplete bladder emptying), painful urination, and urinary frequency and urgency in adult men.
Tadalafil (Adcirca) is used to improve the ability to exercise in people with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH; high blood pressure in the vessels carrying blood to the lungs, causing shortness of breath, dizziness, and tiredness).
Tadalafil is in a class of medications called phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors. It works to treat erectile dysfunction by increasing blood flow to the penis during sexual stimulation. This increased blood flow can cause an erection. Tadalafil treats PAH by relaxing the blood vessels in the lungs to allow blood to flow more easily.
If you are taking tadalafil to treat erectile dysfunction, you should know that it does not cure erectile dysfunction or increase sexual desire. Tadalafil does not prevent pregnancy or the spread of sexually transmitted diseases such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
- Cialis is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED). It increases blood flow to the penis following sexual stimulation and allows men to keep an erection hard enough for sex.
- Cialis is also used to treat the signs and symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Cialis is available as a lower-strength tablet that can be taken on a daily basis, eliminating the need to ‘plan’ for sex.
- Cialis is also available as an ‘as needed’ tablet. The effect of one tablet lasts for up to 36 hours.
- The recommended ‘as needed’ dose for Cialis is 10mg, taken prior to anticipated sexual activity. The dose may be increased to 20mg or decreased to 5mg. It should not be taken more than once a day.
- The recommended starting dose for Cialis intended for once daily use is 2.5mg, take at the same time each day, without regard to timing of sexual activity. This may be increased to 5mg/day based on need and tolerability.
- May be taken with or without food.
- Cialis is available as a generic, under the name tadalafil.